Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Red Rockin' Sock!

Ok, so, if i haven't already told you guys like 10 trillion times, I WENT TO HAWAII!!!!!!! And one of the best parts was that I was on a CRUISE!!!!

I'll tell you guys more about the beginning, but right now I wanna talk about my Dad's sock in Kauai, one of the last islands we visited. ... I know, it's weird for me to talk about the ending first, but just listen.

Now, in order for me to "learn from this" I must write some facts... sigh....

#1. In Kauai, there is this red soil stuff.
#2. and IT STAINS, and it, like, never comes off.
#3. It was VERY annoying to the people whose clothes got stained.

And then this genius comes by and says:
"Why don't we purposely stain our clothes completely red, so this why it looks like we have a red shirt on, and if the red soil comes on it, it doesn't matter?"

Pure genius, huh?

So now that's what they do, and they make money from it. Ya, that's right, they sell this stained stuff for like 40 bucks to tourists.

That's like staining a shirt in some American paint, and selling it to some Japanese tourist guy for $40... and I know what your thinking, Cu-Chingggg, free money!

So, my dad came up with THIS genius idea... WHY NOT STAIN IT YOUR SELF!
And that's exactly what we did.

We went to this park somewhere near the docked cruise ship. Who knew one park has a enough red soil to make a stinky, boring sock, to a Hawaiian smelling, red sock?

So, were just walking around, and my dad said, "Wouldn't it be so cool if could just stain some cloth and take it home as a souvenir?" Now, that idea excited the b-shizzles outta' me!

... ya, I have a weird way with words. Anyways, I got right to my nagging. "Dad! YES! WE HAVVVEEE TO!!!!! NO!, We can NOT go home with out a stained cloth! COME ON! THINK
, what can we use???!!!" It went on, and on, until my dad, yet again, had another idea.

"Why don't we use my sock?"

And I said, "YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!" Who knew uncreative, plain, white and gray socks came in handy?

I got right to work. "DAD! TAKE OFF YOUR SOCK! NOW!"
"No, let me just step in the soil, it'll make it red"
"NO! TAKE IT OFF! IT'LL WORK BETTER!"
"Sweety, let me try this first?"
"FINE."

So he rubbed his sock in the soil, and ... It MAGICALLY BECAME RED!!!! ... wait, he rubbed it, and most of the red came off...

I told you Dad, it wouldn't work, but NO, don't listen to me.

I sighed. Time to show them how it was supposed to be done. As they say, "If you want it to be done right, do it yourself."

This time I basically ordered. "DAD, take OFF the SOCK." (No, I'm not spoiled... just... hyper.)

He took off his sock, and handed to me. I rubbed the sock in some soil, and in became some what red... I rubbed a little, but most of the red came off again.

Then, of course, ANOTHER brilliant idea from my genius dad. "Maybe you have to dampen the sock before you can stain it?" Why not become the next Albert Einstein?

Well, he may be smart, but I'm lucky, because I spotted a hose. And look, it worked! Water and all.

I dampened the sock, and walked my way back to the red spot. I rubbed it pretty well, and went back to the hose, and where my parents were sitting. I smiled as I showed them the sock, but the smile slowly disappeared as the red washed away, again, as the water drizzled on it.

mmmhhh... what am I doing wrong? ... Maybe this will work....

With out a word, I went back to the red spot, and got right to work. My parents called me, but I waved them off, I had work to do. I rubbed the sock thoroughly and smiled triumphantly. I walked back and started the hose... My dad said he rather have him wash it.

Fine, I'll let him do this ONE thing...

I watched carefully. Do it slowly... SLOWLY... No, that was too much water!!!

"STOP!"
"What?!"
"THAT'S TOO MUCH WATER!"
"OK, OK, calm down!"

He drizzled the water on it... No! It was washing away!

"STOPPPP!"
"WHAT NOW?!"
"TOO MUCH! Let it dry for a bit! Set it down!"
"Sweety, no, come on.."
"DAD!"
"OK, OK!"

He set it down, and we waited for a while... NO! He was starting the hose again!

"DON'T YOU DARE!"
"Whaaaat?!"
"DON'T YOU DARE TURN THAT ON!"
"What on?"
"THAT!!"
"The hose?"
"YES, THE HOSE!"
"Huh?! We still have to wash it!"
"NOT YET!"

And under my command, operation "SOCK STAIN", was under control.

I finally let him wash the rest of the dirt off, and the stain actually worked! VICTORY!
"SEE, I TOLD YOU!"
"Ok, you were right, happy? It looks great."
"Yes."

I bragged the rest of the way home.. well, to the cruise.

Now you may be wondering, where my mom went... Well, who else took all these great pictures and videos?!

Till' we meet again,

Sabrina.

P.S. In case you are wondering, here are the socks after surviving a laundry cycle!

Now if he had only let me do both the socks he could have one complete pair of the famous Red Dirt socks and could have sold them on eBay for 40 bucks!

3 comments:

  1. the original red dirt shirt site is http://www.dirtshirt.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neil...you have met your match!! :)
    Great narration Sabrina! I felt as if I was right there watching you do your "experiment"!!
    - Meena

    ReplyDelete